Prince Andrew plans to attend Philip memorial in first outing since settling sex case

Prince Andrew, who recently settled a civil sex claim, will be present at the memorial service for his late father Prince Philip at Westminster Abbey next week along with other members of the Royal Family

Prince Andrew who plans to attend Prince Philip’s memorial service next week

The Duke of York plans to attend his late father the Duke of Edinburgh’s memorial service next week, it is understood.

Andrew, who recently settled a civil sex claim against him, will be present at the Westminster Abbey event on Tuesday (March 29).

His planned attendance was reported by the BBC on Monday and the PA news agency understands he is expected to be there.

It would be his first public appearance since the out-of-court agreement – revealed in court documents in mid-February – was made with his accuser Virginia Giuffre.

Large numbers of the royal family including the Queen are expected to attend next week’s service, alongside Philip’s friends, colleagues and representatives of organizations he supported.







Andrew with his mother the Queen and late father Prince Philip
(

Image:

Getty Images)

Andrew stepped down from royal duties in November 2019. He attended Philip’s funeral in April 2021.

In January, the Queen stripped her second son of his prestigious honorary military titles and royal patronages, and he stopped using his HRH style, in a move that effectively cast him adrift from the institution.

But it had been thought that any decision around Andrew’s attendance would depend on whether the Queen considers the thanksgiving church service a family event or an official engagement, and how much she and royal aides would be concerned that Andrew’s presence could detract from the proceedings.







The royals at Prince Philip’s funeral last year
(

Image:

WPA Pool / Getty Images)







Andrew attended his father’s funeral
(

Image:

PA)

Love the royals? Sign up for the Mirror’s daily newsletter to get all the latest news on the Queen, Charles, Kate, Wills, Meghan, Harry and the rest of The Firm. Click here to sign up.

Last month, a letter submitted to the United States District Court said Andrew “regrets his association” with disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein, and had agreed to make a “substantial donation” to Ms Giuffre’s charity, after the pair agreed an undisclosed out-of- court settlement in her civil sex claim against him.

It was confirmed earlier this month that Prince Harry will miss the memorial service, with a spokesperson for the US-based prince saying he would not return for the high-profile occasion but adding that he hoped to visit his grandmother the Queen soon.







The Queen is said to be determined to attend her beloved husband’s memorial service next week
(

Image:

Getty Images)

Meanwhile, it has been reported that six-foot privacy screens, a helicopter and a football tunnel could all be used in a military-style operation to get the Queen to the memorial while protecting her privacy.

The 95-year-old monarch is said to be determined to attend the memorial service of thanksgiving for her late husband, who died aged 99 in April, despite the event at Westminster Abbey coming at a time when she has been forced to pull out of several engagements of late.

One of them was last Monday’s Commonwealth Day service, also at the Abbey, with the decision to cancel her appearance understood to be related to her “comfort” traveling the 26-mile journey from Windsor Castle to London and sitting through the event, rather than a specific illness.

Her Majesty has faced increasing issues with her mobility in recent months, leaving her “on certain days” struggling to get about, according to palace sources.

Read More

Read More

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.