As fuel prices continue to rise, there are fears that consumers will not be able to afford enough to cover basic travel like going to work. The government is scrambling to help with the cost of living but some campaigners say it is not enough.
The AA has warned that prices at the pumps “continue to set new records” and says that, despite the wholesale price of petrol and diesel falling, the savings have yet to be passed on to consumers.
The government is under huge pressure to bring prices down, and reports have emerged that Chancellor Rishi Sunak might announce a 5p cut to fuel duty in his Spring Statement on Wednesday. However, opposition parties have called on him to go further.
READ MORE: Good Morning Britain: Martin Lewis makes desperate plea to Sajid Javid
Speaking about fuel prices in the UK, AA spokesman Luke Bosdet said: “Wholesale petrol and diesel costs started to fall away dramatically on March 9, yet more than 10 days later prices at the pumps continue to set new records.
“Even with oil rebounding to 110 US dollars a barrel at the end of last week, wholesale petrol on Friday was down 12p a liter on the March 8 peak (from 78.35p to 66.15p). Pre-pandemic, the retailers would sit on lower-cost savings and wait for either Asda or Morrisons to announce price cuts, and then start to bring their prices down.
“Now that that competitive thrust has largely gone, drivers and businesses in desperate need of the financial relief of lower pump prices must struggle on.”
With fuel prices continuing at record highs, here are the 10 petrol stations with the cheapest fuel prices in and around Bristol.
Cheapest fuel prices in and around Bristol
Here are the cheapest fuel prices in the Bristol region at the time of writing according to PetrolPrices.com.
The 10 cheapest for petrol
- Texaco Bell Hill Road – 161.9p
- BP Frenchay Service Station – 161.9p
- Morrisons Hartcliffe – 162.7p
- Tesco Extra Brislington – 162.9p
- Texaco Park Road (Stapleton) – 162.9p
- Morrisons Fishponds – 162.9p
- Texaco Hampton Road (Redland) – 163.9p
- Tesco Extra Eastville – 163.9p
- Shell Cribbs Causeway – 163.9p
- Asda Bedminster – 164.7p
READ MORE: Petrol and diesel retailers accused of not passing on wholesale price drops
The 10 cheapest for diesel
- Morrisons Hartcliffe – 172.7p
- Tesco / Esso Express (Soundwell Road) – 172.9p
- Morrisons Fishponds – 173.9p
- Asda Whitchurch – 174.7p
- Texaco Bell Hill Road – 174.9p
- Esso Gloucester Road North – 174.9p
- BP French Park Road – 174.9p
- Tesco Extra Eastville – 175.9p
- Tesco Extra Brislington – 175.9p
- Esse Henleaze Road – 175.9p
For the latest news and updates on the cost of living crisis and the government response, click here